Deputy Health Minister Dr. Oko-Boye has siad that government has paid 50 percent basic salary to 6,000 frontline workers.
Dr. Oko-Boye also said that government would ensure that the frontline workers will continue to enjoy 50 percent basic salary top-up.
The Deputy Health Minister disclosed this, when he delivered a statement in parliament on Tuesday, July 21, 2020.
Dr. Oko-Boye noted that the list of frontline workers stood at 6,000, but depending on the confirmed cases in facilities and number of people involved in management, the figure could change.
He said “Government’s commitment to health workers remain unadulterated”.
He noted that though Coronavirus death was unfortunate, Ghana’s death rate remains one of the lowest rate in the world.
He reiterated that the more efficient the management of the pandemic in the country, the lower the mortality rate.
He mentioned that as of July this year, about 2,065 health workers had contracted the COVID-19, since the outbreak of the disease in Ghana, about five months ago.
He noted that government had spent over $34.7 million to undertake COVID-19 tests, adding: “Ghana had done 346,990 tests so far with a positive rate of 0.7 percent”.
He explained that “for every one million of the country’s population, 11,000 tests are conducted”.
He said although government has released personal protective equipment to medical stores and health facilities accross the country, it would continue to supply such logistics to ensure the safety of all Ghanaians.
By Agnes Melissa Yovo | Talksafrica.com