Almond is a drupe, consisting of an outer hull and a hard shell with the seed. Almond is not a true nut but a fruit. It Is cultivated in many parts of the world including Iran, India and Africa. Shelling almonds refers to removing the shell to reveal the seed. They can be sold anyway they are harvested.
These are some proven health benefits of almond fruits and seeds:
1. Reduces Inflammation: The seed of almond fruit has an oil content that tends to reduce inflammation in the abdomen. Almonds contain an essential fatty acid which is linolenic acid. This fatty acid aid in lowering inflammation all around the body. Fatty acid also helps in reducing LDL cholesterol level and they improve healthy skin and hair. Therefore consumption of almonds will contribute greatly to the reduction in inflammation.
2. Beneficial To Pregnant Women: Almond consists of a good amount of folic acid. This helps to reduce the occurrence of birth defects. It is most times recommended for pregnant women.
3. Helps In Weight Loss: Monounsaturated fat that is present in almond aids in satisfying appetite and reduces much eating. The dietary fibre found in almond fruits aids in keeping you full for a long time. Also, the fibre contained in it helps inconsistent bowel movement which contributes to weight loss.
People who consume almond on regular basis are more likely to maintain their ideal weight.
4. Promotes Healthy Bone: Almond fruits are rich in dietary phosphorus, vitamins and minerals. Phosphorus plays an important role in bone formation and the repair of cells in the body. Moderate consumption of almond helps in building strong bone and teeth.
5. Improves Immune System: Research has indicated that almond fruit consists of zinc and manganese. These minerals help in the proper functioning of the immune system. It also helps the body in metabolism. Manganese and zinc is an essential mineral vital for the development of the human body.
6. Promotes Brain Health: Almond is a rich source of many nutrients that contribute to the proper development of the human brain. It is considered to be an essential food for growing children. This fruit contains two important brain nutrients known as L-carnitine and riboflavin. These help greatly in increasing brain activity. Research has proved that almond fruits in diet and as oil is beneficial to the overall mental health of an individual.
7. Prevention Of Constipation: Almond is rich in fibre, which contributes a lot to preventing constipation. It is essential to drink water when consuming almond fruits. This will help to speed up the digestive process. The amount of fibre contained in 4 or 5 almonds are good enough for regulating the bowel movements and digestive system.
8. Regulates Blood Pressure: The presence of potassium in almond helps in blood pressure regulation. Other numerous nutrients contained in it also helps in preventing many deficiencies. Balanced minerals and vitamins are needed for a healthy lifestyle preventing the body from stress, anxiety and increased blood pressure. Regular intake of almond helps in maintaining a good blood pressure level.
9. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels: Almond aids lower the conservative rise in insulin and glucose levels after meals. It offers protection from harmful spikes in blood sugar.
10. Promotes a Healthy Heart: The presence of monounsaturated fats, potassium and protein in almond are beneficial for the health of the heart. Also, the presence of magnesium helps in preventing heart attacks. The vitamin E found in it is also an effective antioxidant that fights against the risk of heart diseases. Almond helps in reducing the presence of C-reactive proteins (CRP) that causes artery-damaging inflammation. They aid in reducing homocysteine which leads to fatty plague increase in the arteries. Almonds are an excellent fruit that contributes greatly to achieving a healthy heart.
11. Prevents Cancer: Regular consumption of almond fruits helps in enhancing the movement of food through the colon, thus preventing an increase in colon cancer and its occurrence. Studies have shown that peanut, walnut and almond consumption has a protective effect on breast cancer development. Therefore it is good you consume almond regularly as it helps in reducing the risk of breast cancer. It consists of a substance that can prevent cancer and also has antioxidant content.
Kindly share your thoughts on the topic for the sake of update.